I’ve decided to take on the Ironman challenge in World of Warcraft. Because I’m a university student with a job and a social life, this will probably take me a really freakin’ long time, but that’s alright.
- Only White or Grey gear. No Heirlooms of any kind.
- No transfer of gear, items, or money from any other character (yours or others).
- No gear enhancements, including gems, enchanting, and reforging. Class abilities are allowed (eg. Rogue poisons, Shaman imbues).
- No specialization, talent points, or glyphs. No pet talent points.
- No professions or secondary skills, except for First Aid.
- No potions, flasks, or elixirs except for required quest items.
- No food buffs or other external buffs (including buffs from items and other players).
- No groups or assistance from other characters, even if not grouped.
- No dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, or arenas.
- No guilds, except for level 1 guilds created specifically for the Ironman Challenge.
- No Refer-A-Friend.
- No addons which assist in combat and/or leveling (eg. leveling guides, Ovale).
- THE BIG ONE: No deaths. Character death for any reason disqualifies the character
- Server: Wyrmrest Accord
- Name: Fersi
- Race: Human
- Class: Monk
- Favourite colour: red
- Sign: Capricorn
… Too much detail? Okay, I’ll stop now.
The First 10 Levels
I never knew the kobold Goldtooth could be so terrifying. I began the attack only to retreat two or three times before I finally killed him. Just barely made it too!
When I reached level 8 and the end of the really easy and safe quests in Elwynn Forest, I decided to complete all of the other starting areas before moving any further. Maybe I can get a few relatively easy levels out of them! Hopefully being ‘rested’ isn’t against the rules, because at this point I sort of forgot Fersi in the Goldshire inn for about a month before beginning to play again…
Entering Coldridge Valley, I was immediately told off by a level 90 dwarf for getting too close to his Personal Mole Machine. “You be’er run!” he yells. Reasons I’m on a roleplaying server.
About 15 minutes later, I’m not even finished in Coldridge Valley and I’ve reached level 9 already. This is working even better than I expected. The xp from those trolls who are barely within the realm of what will give me xp add up really quickly. Going to enjoy that while it lasts.
Having finished with Coldridge Valley, I think I will head for the Elven starting areas now, and take advantage of the fact that quests designed for lv 1 characters still make a dent in my xp bar. As I am flown over the mountain pass from Coldridge Valley into Kharanos in a somewhat less than trustworthy helecopter, I find myself wondering about Azerothean geology. They must have one hell of a complicated plate tectonic system…
Ran into Blingtron 4000 on my way through Stormwind to the docks, and now I’m ‘Dressed to Kill’. He also gave me a present with 3 Landsharks inside. My day is complete. Thank-you, Blingtron 4000!
Arrived in Shadowglen with 18% on my xp bar, and it’s time to help out some Elves in need of my assistance. They are totally overrun with Young Nightsabers and all manner of other creatures that they could probably deal with on their own with ease. Elves are so lazy. Apparently I can only do 3 quests in Shadowglen because I’m not an Elf. I guess Elves are racist too.
After catching a couple more quests in Dolanaar, I’m off to the Draenei starting area. I hope there are more quests there than here.
Ammen Vale is easily the best starting area, for the music alone. A few quests later, I’ve officially reached level 10! Thanks for the rediculously high xp for your starting quests, Draenei!
Signing off for now, but I will be back at an indeterminate time in the future for the next 10 levels.